Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Election

I was a first time voter this election. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance to vote 4 years ago because I had barely turned 18 and just moved to Utah, I didn’t do my research on how to vote here either (slacker, I know). Because I didn't vote last election, I made sure I did this year. I was so pumped to vote that I voted early. My co-worker, Andrea, and I waited in the hour long line at UVU. We thought we would be smart by voting early and avoiding the lines on Election Day. Little did we know how short the lines would actually be on November 4th. Eric voted that morning and hardly waited at all.


There are so many things that can be said about this election. I’m excited about what this election stands for; it shows that anyone can achieve the American dream. An African American president is a great example of something deeper in this country than just politics; it says something about our character as a nation. I want to congratulate President Elect Obama. I’m excited that a majority of the country can look past skin color, it shows we have come a long way. Sadly, racism still exists, but I'm proud that we have taken such strides in overcoming it.

Obama may turn out to be a good president and not a great one, he may be challenged in ways that push him in directions he did not intend to go, but he will always be our first African American president. That is a remarkable achievement. Although I don't agree with all of his views, Obama is a good man who inspires, I was touched and inspired by his vision and speech. Both Senator McCain’s speech and President Elect Obama’s were great. I'm looking forward to the start of many changes that will occur when Obama takes office in January. Now the big question is, what kind of puppy should Obama get his daughters?

3 comments:

  1. First of all - I like the way you spelled out your blog name - (hehe). Second - I did cut my hair and died it too. I also did my eyebrows like I have always talked about and it was the greatest decision ever. I miss work - how is everyone. We still need to have our girls lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally posted. I'll be stealing that picture of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with you. We would love to go do something with you guys again! We are totally up for the temple. What say you show us Red Mango? A friend of mine was just talking to me about it today at work, too! I say we try!

    ReplyDelete