Monday, March 26, 2012

6

Last week we celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary! Woot woot!
These past 6 years have honestly been the sweetest and most fun years of my life. Eric is my partner in crime and best friend...I can't imagine what life would be like without him. I miss him every time he walks out the door for work and get excited when I hear the garage door open because then it's our time. All around he is just the most amazing person I know (supportive, honest, loving, funny, forgiving, dependable, smart, hard working, etc. etc. etc.). I always wanted to marry someone like my dad and Eric and my dad share a lot of the same qualities. I lucked out big time.

We had plans of going to California for my nieces wedding and luckily our anniversary was going to land during our stay. Unfortunately, that didn't end up working out. With our minds on the kitchen renovation we didn't really think about how we were going celebrate our anniversary until the day of. So we played it by ear, kept it chill. We went to the gym together (we love working out together though it doesn't happen very often), had street tacos from the best taco cart in town, drove around Sugarhouse looking for inspiration colors to paint our front door while Leila napped, enjoyed shamrock shakes at Sugarhouse Park while Leila chased the birds, and just went where the wind blew us (literally, it was a windy and gloomy day). It doesn't take much to keep us happy and entertained.

 

The weather wasn't cooperating too much and Leila almost got blown away by the wind so we packed up and got ready to drop Leila off at Grandma's so we can go to dinner.

But before dinner we made a pit stop at Home Depot (our favorite store) to pick up a few things for the house sans Leila - though we're huge fans of the good ol' HP, Leila isn't. We thought we were going to beat the crowds for dinner at 5:30 but we took longer than expected at our favorite store. By the time we got to The Cheesecake Factory it was 1:20 min wait. Whomp whomp whomp...we turned the corner and decided to check out the new restaurant Brio. But it was a 55 minute wait. 

What were we thinking trying to get dinner at 7pm on a Saturday night without a reservation for our anniversary? Laughing at our lack of planning, we waited the 55 minutes at Brio. But luck was on our side because it was the shortest 55 minutes ever. 5 minutes after we checked in our buzzer went off. What? It was a packed house. Guess they buzzed 5 peeps before us and no one showed.

The service was impeccable, food was great, and it was a very comfortable/elegant ambiance. Whatever the occasion, we usually do gifts in the morning right when we get up (birthdays, anniversaries). This time we waited to swap gifts over dinner because it made it that much more special and gave us something to look forward to. Eric gave me this beautiful necklace that says "California" in the shape of the state. I'll always be a California girl at heart. He picked it out all by himself and it was a winner. You know in movies when the guy buys the girl a necklace and puts it on for her, well that's what Eric did for me and that little moment was so romantic. Well, the whole evening was romantic. I just cuddled into Eric's arms while we talked and reminisced about our 6 years. 

We'll probably start rounding up to 7 years soon, we always round up. Ah, 6 years sounds old but as I just typed the number seven, it sounds waaay long. It's weird to not be newlyweds anymore because it's always felt like we have been. 

My gift to Eric wasn't as romantic. He's a sucker for nice sunglasses and would have 20 pair if he could (I just like cheap ones from Target) so I got him some sexy Oakley sunglasses. I wasn't sure they were the ones he wanted but I must say I did well and he kept them (I'm known for exchanging gifts from Eric for a different color or style, I'm horrible right?!). Without any help from each other, we did well in the gift section.

 
 

It was the most perfect dinner and the server kept calling us lovebirds...he too could sense that love was in the air. Ha ha. We didn't have time for much else so after dinner we picked up our little girl, who we missed, and headed home. To be honest, I didn't want to do anything else. Just wanted to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie that we picked up from the RedBox on the way home (In Time with Justin Timberlake - good film) with my husband of 6 years. 

The day was perfect in its imperfectness because it wasn't planned. But that's what I love about our marriage, it's easy. 

3 comments:

  1. Haa!!!! so wonderful. You had a fantastic anniversary, just the most simply things are the most special. Such a beautiful family. I love Leila chasing ducks, just like you did when you were a little girl. Time goes fast. Just enjoying every day of your life like you do. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a perfect day to me. i love that necklace-- good job eric! and yumm brio is so delicious! happy anniversary <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy six years!!! seems like such a big number!

    ReplyDelete