Tuesday, October 14, 2008

a couple first's for me...

Last Thursday was a big day for me...I got MY FIRST TICKET EVER! I'd been pulled over once before in california for supposedly "swerving". The cop thought I was drunk so he pulled me over. I went over the white line once, maybe twice. I freaked out when he pulled me over, I was a little more calm b.c Eric was with me, but I thought if I ever get a ticket I don't know how I'd react, especially alone.

Well, the day finally came where I got a ticket. I seriously thought I'd be 30 or so before I did because I'm such a safe driver, I'm always checking my speed and always on the lookout for cops, it's just natural for me to do that. Eric hates my driving b.c he says I drive too slow. Well, this time there was so much on my mind that I wasn't even thinking about my speed or the speed limit...and that's what got me into trouble. Here's how it happened:

I driving down the road going to my internship (with the Truancy Officer/Social Workers at Provo School District) when I was thinking about all the things I have to do. As I'm driving I see the flashing school zone lights (20 mph) and it doesn't even register to think to slow down or check my speed. As I'm trying to switch lanes I see a cop with his lights on behind me, my first thought was "oh, I'd better get over so he can pass me, oh wait, he might be pulling me over". So I pull over and sure enough he follows me! I had no idea how fast I was going. Surprisingly enough I was calm and not nervous at all.
The first thing he says is "Did you even see the first school zone sign?" He was a pretty cool cop, I joked with him, made light conversation, and chatted, but it didn't get me out of my ticket. He joked around too but wasn't sympathetic at all. So I bet you're all wondering how fast I was going...DRUM ROLL...31 in a 20 mph school zone. 11 over, but he was nice enough to give me 9 over (same as going 1 over). He gave me the paper to sign and I asked him how bad it was, he didn't even know, he said I have to call! How lame is that? But luckily I can go to traffic school...yay for traffic school! I was actually excited that I got my ticket, a new experience b.c now I fit in with the cool kids, I didn't let my ticket get me down, what good is that going to do? I'm just bummed I can no longer say "I've never had a ticket!" Eric is glad I don't have bragging rights anymore!

To add to my list of firsts and to make my day better I get a call from Eric later that day saying we're going to the Jazz game (pre-season) with his work. I was psyched! I'd never been and of course always wanted to go! This was going to be TEN TIMES BETTER because it was FREE and we got to sit in the SUITE just for Best Buy - perfect view, comfy seating, and best part of all, great food!

They were playing the Phoenix Suns and Shaquille O'Neal now plays for them...so I was a little star struck. When I think of Shaq I think of his huge round superman bed from MTV's Cribs. He is huge, and his feet are even huger...this picture shows the size comparison to him and a normal person. Check out their feet...I still can't get over it.


During the game the Jazz bear came to our suite and attacked us all with silly string...it was all over the place. Hilarious and unexpected! Again, I was star struck...I love the Jazz bear (mascots in general). It was a good game, close, but the jazz lost by 7 points, 96 to 89.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your ticket. I am a freak driver too and I am so nervous to get a ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many first's that I experienced so long ago. Glad the whole ticket thing wasn't too bad for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I got my first ticket I was 20, it was right after I had a conversation about how my mom never got a ticket in her whole life and I could do it too. Since then I've gotten enough tickets to have my license suspended...twice. (Maybe I shouldn't admit that.)

    ReplyDelete