Sunday, September 18, 2011

Berry Pickin'

Ever been raspberry picking? This was my first time and it was lots of fun...but picking raspberries was different than I thought it would be. For some reason I thought it was going to be more of a leisurely activity. I imagined me in this big sun hat, sipping on some lemonade, and just enjoying my afternoon while gathering up some raspberries...without breaking a sweat.

Don't ask me why I thought that since we all know working in the field is hard work! How naive of me to think it was going to be easy. Only an hour or so of picking was mostly just tiring than hard, but doing that all day everyday would be. All that bending down in the heat had me sweating like crazy and Eric and I combined only picked 2 pounds. I wouldn't last a day in the fields. I admire the people who work in the field so much more now that I've done it for one whole hour.

I learned that raspberries like shade and all the good ones are on the bottom, so you have to get down and dirty to get the yummy ones. But watch out for those nasty creepy crawlers:

Love Leila's face.
Guthrie and Violet.


We took home enough raspberries to make 5 batches of jam. Mmm, it came out so good I'm not buying store bought jam again. Thanks to Laura for introducing us to this hidden gem.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss our raspberry bushes here when we move. Where did you guys go to pick them? Looks like you guys had fun and homemade jam, is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey !!! I wan to learn how to make that jummy raspberries, and eat it with bread mmmm goood. Good work all of you.

    ReplyDelete