Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

...Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious 
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!


As part of my birthday gift, last night Eric took me to see Mary Poppins. The show was absolutely amazing and we had the best seats in the house! We were on the balcony in the first row and were able to see the orchestra below, I've never had this great of a view so this was a real treat.


I was expecting a stage version of the film and though the show wasn't much like the movie at all, I was pleasantly surprised and loved it. I enjoyed the new songs, characters, and performances. Are most Broadway shows like this, in that they aren't exactly like the book/movie? It wasn't as different as night and day but I was really confused in the beginning and thought to myself, "wait, that didn't happen, where did this scene come from?" I understand they need to change things around for theater, especially since the movie had animated parts, but once I told myself not to compare it to the movie it was much more enjoyable...it was even spectacular!

Marry Poppins was "perfect in every way" and the actress who played her looked and sounded like Julie Andrews. I mean hair and make up could only do so much, she was great. If I had the right hair and make up could I look like Mary Poppins? Hmm... Halloween costume this year maybe? Eric would make a great Bert.

Speaking of Bert, he too was perfect and had the accent right on. I just wish the kids weren't as annoying and bratty because they were sweet and innocent in the movie, okay only slightly mischievous.  

Side note: this plastic/rubber pole art combobulaiton is right next to Capital Theater. Before the show began we played in the "pole jungle"...as I like to call it. Random, but pretty cool. It seems Salt Lake is upping their game in the art world.


The dancing, effects, backdrops, and performances were all impeccable. The "big numbers" were sensational and better than I'd imagined them to be. Mary Poppins flying through the air and the chimney sweep performance were by far the highlights for us.

We left Marry Poppins humming the tunes and I woke up singing to Supercalifrailistickexpialidocious! Is it in your head now?

This was an unforgettable experience and the perfect 25th birthday gift. Thanks babe, you rock and I had the best time...we always have a blast together and that's why you're my best friend and my lover! I can't wait to take Leila to the theater when she's older so she can enjoy it too. Thanks grandma and grandpa for playing with the princess while we had some "us" time. 

4 comments:

  1. sounds like so much fun! and you guys look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. after these posts i now need to see sound of music AND mary poppins. youre always pretty, and its magnified in the pole jungle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures show that you had a lot of fun, Eric looks so handsome and you soooo gorgeous. Thank goodness for grandma and grandpa to take care of Lelia .

    ReplyDelete