Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Day in History


I'm sitting on the couch and get a call from my brother Billy. "Cynthia, I have the best news ever, they just killed Osama bin Laden, it's all over the news".

Today is a day that will go down in history. Osama bin Laden was captured and killed. I'm grateful for the Navy Seals for carrying out their mission successfully and I believe that President Obama has done a great job protecting us as a nation. Many people celebrated his death today at the White House and ground zero. 

I stumbled upon this quote and it has gained popularity in the blogosphere. It appears to be a modification of one of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech's, not a direct quote like some may think. Regardless, I think it is well said and I feel it matches my sentiments:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." 

The death of another human doesn't necessarily warrant the cause of celebration, regardless of how evil that person was. But I will say there is comfort in knowing that the world might be a little safer with some of those extremists gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment