Monday, March 21, 2011

81/365

I haven't busted this baby out in quite some time. Probably since a couple days before Leila was born - finishing up those last minute projects.

Shasta asked me to make a car seat canopy for her sister who should be having a girl any day now. I was excited to bust out my sewing machine again because I have some projects I'd like to work on (make pillows, take in some of my jeans, etc.). This was my motivation. I've only made one car seat canopy...mine. It's not hard to make, but I was still nervous because I was making it as a gift. I think it turned out alright...hope Shay likes it.

I haven't always been crafty. I only learned how to sew about 2 years ago. Shasta taught me how to make my very first set of curtains. They turned out hideous but I still use them in our bedroom. I remember it not being as easy as it looked (I mostly just hated the pinning and ironing). Shortly after that, I decided I'd entertain the crafty bone in my body. I've NEVER been one to craft, and disliked going to the Relief Society craft night activities.

Obviously, things have changed. Even my family thinks it's weird and shocking that I can sew...let alone do other things because I've never been interested in crafts in the past. I've definitely evolved into a different person since I left home in California. And when I say crafty, I'm not talking Martha Stewart crafty or anything even remotely close. I'm talking beginner...but I'm getting there. I never imagined myself as a homemaker, and in fact wanted to be something far from that. But now I wouldn't have it any other way. 

What can I say...Utah, and my crafty friends, have rubbed off on me. It started with making those curtains, to making blankets for my friends that were having babies back home. Once I found out I was pregnant AND when Eric bought me a sewing machine, it was downhill from there. While I was pregnant, I made a car seat canopy, burp cloths, Leila's bird mobile, earrings, curtains, magnets, headbands...and I think that's it. More crafts to come. 



And a HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY TO MY FAVORITE NIECE ASHLEE! You've always been more like a sister to me. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. you sew? we should make shirt dresses for the little ones. i dont really sew well, but i try to.

    ReplyDelete