Thursday, April 14, 2011

104/365



Summer time means camping and outdoor cooking...dutch oven style. This class taught me that just because you're camping doesn't mean you can't eat a gourmet meal. I thoroughly enjoyed this class, mostly because of how entertaining Chef Todd is. I don't know why but he kind of reminds me of the character that plays Michael Scott's best friend, Todd Packer, in The Office...just a smidgen. He's not inappropriate like the character but has a sense of humor. The girls may not agree.

We had some delicious food and walked away with the recipes. The menu consisted of: creamed corn, barbecued beef ribs, paella valenciana, lyonnaise potatoes, and apricot snacking cake. Everything was delish but the star of the night was the creamed corn...and of course dessert. I ate myself under the table but still made room to finish that huge portion of cake I served myself.

Dutch oven cooking is kinda like grilling, a man's specialty (well, I say that because I'd prob need Eric's help with at the coals, etc). It's all about understanding the temperature of a dutch oven and knowing how to use it...there's somewhat of a science behind knowing how many coals to put on top of it.

I'd love to go to culinary school but I'd most likely do it just for fun. Eric and I have actually talked about how fun it'd be to open up a restaurant and live above it. Who knows, one day. My neighbor went to culinary school at UVU. I just found out that Chef Todd was her instructor and she has tons of his recipes...including the butternut squash soup! I'm stoked. Blue Lemon offers cooking classes year round...I'll be back for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, best cooking class ever! So fun to be with you and Em too. Thanks again for putting it all together! I stole some of the pictures for my blog, if thats ok :) Like I said, next girls night is trifting!

    ReplyDelete