Friday, April 22, 2011

112/365

For the past 9 years BYU's Museum of Art has worked on procuring a collection of Carl Bloch's work. Though I didn't know his name, I recognized Bloch's artwork. He is a well known artist for his depictions of Jesus Christ and it took many years in the making because these pieces are the originals from Denmark, where Bloch is from. The Church has always loved his paintings and use them in chapels, magazines, and temples. Tonight we went to see these paintings in real life...amazing!

Technology is such a cool thing. For a small fee we were able to rent iPads that had commentary on each of the five large altarpieces. It also had 360 degree photos of the churches these pieces of artwork belong to and explanations behind different parts of each painting. It gave me so much more insight to his work and helped me gain a greater appreciation for them.


My camera always gets me into trouble! I'm aware that museums don't usually allow cameras...but I didn't see a sign and no one mentioned anything about no photography. So of course I busted out my camera to capture the moment. I made sure the flash was off because I hear the flash can damage the paintings. Is that true? Anyway, I was able to snap a couple shots before the guard came running up to me to say photography was not allowed. Look at her scoping me out below. Oops!


If someone told me that the best chocolate in the world came from Orem, Utah I'd say they were crazy! Well it does. We've been eyeing this little restaurant for some time. The owner is from Utah but has lived in New York and San Francisco for many years. 

He created Communal with the idea of slow and social dining...where people actually have time to sit down and enjoy their food. This place is not only about great service, but hospitality as well. Our server, Edgar, was hospitable and passionate about his job. Probably because the employees are like a family. The restaurant closes in between each meal and before it opens again for business the employees eat a big meal together, that's why they consider themselves a family because they are a close knit group. What a rad place to work.

Edgar shared a plethora of knowledge with us about the restaurant and its purpose of sustainability. They try to use everything as local and organic as possible. Therefore, the menu changes quite often. If you ever go, they recommend you share one meat/entrée, one or two sides, and one or two appetizers because everything is a la cart. We left well after the restaurant closed just talking with our server.

Now back to the chocolate. They bring you two little pieces of chocolate with your check. I joked with Eric that I bet even the chocolate is local. Sure enough it says its from Orem, UT right on the wrapper. The chocolate is delicious and has a bitter, sweet taste. It left a rich aftertaste in my palette. The server asked what we thought about the chocolate and I told him I loved it. He then continued with the story.

The chocolate is called Amano and the maker used to be an engineer. He decided he wanted to make chocolates instead. He travels to all parts of the world to get the best cocoa beans and hand picks them himself to assure he gets the best flavor. He's won many American and international awards. He competes with the finest chocolateirs in the world and in 2009 he won GOLD from the London Academy of Chocolate. Impressive! Who knew? Well, now you know the worlds finest chocolate comes from right here in Orem.    

2 comments:

  1. reading this made me wanna go to communal! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you were able to see the Bloch exhibit. Loved it! And, The Communal, love it too! It's the perfect little place for Provo, don'tcha think?

    ReplyDelete